FARMINGTON CHURCH OF CHRIST
Pointing the World to Jesus
Type your paragraph here.
After meeting in a borrowed church building, a tent and a house, the first permanent building was constructed in 1945 (above left). Omer Rouse, Arthur Broyles and Ben Wray (center, left to right) began service as shepherds in 1950. Ed Spurlock (above right) served as our first full-time minister from 1976-1987.
Desiring to be the people of God and the church they read about in the pages of the New Testament, a group of 15 people began meeting in Farmington, Arkansas in 1937. Guy Cosand and George Broyles were the first preachers, and Virgil Funderburk assisted with the singing.
Their very first meeting place was a borrowed church building. After being asked to move, the church met in a tent and later in the home of Arthur and Edna Broyles. The first permanent building for the congregation was constructed in 1945, with various additions being built as needed, including an auditorium (1973), classrooms and offices (1987), and a fellowship annex (1995). In 2016, a new, spacious auditorium was constructed, with other areas of the campus being repurposed for additional classrooms, a chapel, and a larger fellowship area.
Through the years, the church at Farmington has been blessed with capable men in leadership roles, both as elders and ministers. The men who currently serve the church as shepherds are Marion Bailey, Bob Beeler, Bill Bequette, and Mark Cunningham. Our current preaching minister is Mike Raine, who has been serving here since 2013. Luke Dockery, our associate minister, has served in that role since 2006.
Although many things have changed throughout the years, on a basic level, the Farmington Church of Christ remains very much the same: we desire to live as God has called us to, and to share the story and love of His Son Jesus.